For the first time in my life, I live in the strange urban contraptions called ‘apartments’. I have always lived in houses with small rooms and huge gardens. So I was very skeptical about my fitting into an apartment with no green lung space. And the closest we could come to having some greenery around us was to stay near a lake. So we took that chance. And surprisingly, I am liking this apartment experience. There are many things I marvel at. Some things that only apartments can provide, I think a lot of us see only the sad side of an apartment while conveniently forgetting the perks it offers. So these are some of the interesting things that I have come across.
- Thousands of people live in an apartment complex. But have you noticed that at any given point of time, the complex is always shrouded in an eerie shawl of calmness!
- Take an apartment tour. When I did a tour of my complex, I came across so many different kinds of living.
- The unkempt balcony of a bachelor pad
- The overflowing terrace garden of a plantsman (Apparently, it’s a word!)
- The heavenly smell of sambrani (A mum must definitely live there!!)
- A clothesline full of toddler clothes which never fail to make me smile, such small clothes 😀
- The whirring of a washing machine which heralds the onset of a weekend
- The constant barking of dog, a golden retriever, in my case. It barks just when I am about to lose myself in the folds of my blanket. We must have been enemies in our past life
- The fairy lights that glow and glint and make you think of all things magical
- The ‘Howzzaaat’ of the perennial cricket match played by kids
- I confess that I become something of a peeping tom during these tours and these bouts always provide a magical insight into my neighbors lives 😀
- I love taking a walk through the corridors of all the floors, each house is decorated in something that makes them house a home. And I love observing these touches. The yellow wall that welcomes visitors, a funny door mat, a door that rivals the sercurity of a bank with its grills and padlocks and all 😀
These are my tales, what are yours?! Do tell, I am all ears! 😀